Tuesday, March 6, 2007

This portion of the blog satisfies the multimedia requirement of the assignment. The next two posts are intended to explore the way that a viewer interprets a given space. The space that I have used is in the architecture building in Lawrence hall. My apologies to the readers of this blog that do not belong to this university, if there are any. The room is Lawrence 279; it is used mainly for small discussions and reviews within the architecture department. It is about 30 feet by 15 feet with 18 feet ceilings. There is also a section of the room with reduced ceiling heights because there is an overhead walkway that juts into the space. I documented the room in as many forms of media as I could think of. I drew a simple perspective of the space by hand and produced CAD drawings as well. I have constructed a digital model and produced 3-d renderings. I also took photographs to compare to the effects of the renderings. I have also rendered a 3d animation and filmed a video in the same fashion as the rendering. This experiment is intended as a study; my goal is to determine which method of portrayal works the best in portraying the space accurately. Of course the best way to interpret any volume is to literally experience being within it. That is why I have also constructed a physical model. However, photographs of the model will be used in this project.

No comments: