Wednesday, March 7, 2007



This experiment is unique in the sense that the space that I am depicting has already been built. Normally, the material that I produced would only be used for buildings in design development. However, there is a need to compare the drawings and renderings to what they are actually portraying as a means for measuring their effectiveness. The first form of media that I chose was hand drawing. I chose to use a perspective view because that is the view that tells the most about any given area.



I also drew a section and plan of the room with AutoCAD to show the room’s general proportion and layout. Often these are the only types of drawings produced in smaller architectural projects.



I built a physical model of the space as well. This provided a great means for interpretation of space, but unfortunately it has to be shown in photograph format.



I also constructed a digital model that I used to create 3dimensional renderings. I chose to use materials that were more visually stimulating to make things more interesting.



I also filmed the room with a digital camera and created a 3d animation in a similar format. Video provides the best possible portrayal of the space because we get an accurate sense of scale and materials. I combined all of my material in the following narrated video:



After watching the video, it becomes clear that the best ways to sell someone an architectural idea is to rely on the digital realm. Physical models provide people with a great sense of space, but materials in such models often seem crude.

No comments: