Friday, March 9, 2007

As a student of digital design and architecture, I understand the importance of the proper conveyance of ideas. In my first years of study, I resorted to standard practices of hand drafting with the occasional poorly rendered perspective drawing. My critics were less than impressed, and my design ideas were taken with little credibility. It was not until I became a student of digital design that my architectural drawings started to become exciting. My initial experience with digital design was not a smooth one. My work struggled, but I was motivated by the failure of my hand drawings. Thinking back, I realize that often, simple ideas are better described with simple forms of media. In working with 3-dimensional modeling programs there is a temptation to express objects in a complicated fashion to make them seem somehow advanced. It also can be difficult to simplify complicated models into something that is legible. For beginners, it can be quite difficult to maintain legibility when working with complexity. This is a significant advantage of other forms of media. As a design tool, a pen and paper is somehow more forgiving than a computer screen. There is a more professional stigma attached to computer work which is difficult to let go of as an amateur. However, once a feel for drafting and modeling programs is developed, many programs offer tools that smooth the process. The biggest one is the fact that there is no need for an eraser, the undo command is a primary ingredient in most all programs. In the field of design where decisions are made and re-made again, this tool is invaluable and holds a significant advantage over other forms of media.

No comments: